Full Job Description
Traditional Music Ministry Leader
Springville First United Methodist Church
474 East Main St
Springville, NY 14141
Springville First UMC Mission Statement: Empowered by God to love and serve one another
Our music ministry plays a vital role in creating the environment and opportunities for people to praise and worship God. For our 11:00 traditional service music supports the liturgy and the ministry of God’s word in our community at times setting the background for these experiences and at others taking a lead role in helping people encounter Christ. The work of the Traditional Music Ministry Leader will revolve around our 11:00 worship gathering.
- Leading congregational music on piano or organ for a minimum of two or three Sundays a month.
- Coordinate volunteer music leadership for Sundays the Leader is not playing.
- Coordinate schedule of individuals or ensembles for special music for the 11:00 service.
Planning – work with pastor and worship planning team to help develop themes and select music for congregational singing at traditional service. This meeting happens about once every 4 to 6 weeks. Additional planning connected to recruiting musicians and singers from within the congregation to share during offertory multiple Sundays a month.
Sunday Service – sharing the prelude and postlude on the Sundays playing for worship. Accompany congregational singing on organ or piano for three hymns and the doxology. Playing offertory when no one else is sharing special music.
- A love of Christ and a passion to help other people worship God. A support of United Methodist theology.
- Knowledge of hymns and traditional worship music.
- The ability to work with diverse individuals with varying levels of musical abilities.
- Openness to children sharing musically in worship.
- Music training, BA/BS in Music preferred, proficient at piano and/or organ.
- Ability to direct music groups is not necessary, but for candidates who do have this skill we would like to explore how we could work this into the position.
Commensurate with experience, final job scope, and weekly time commitment.
The church regularly maintains our 12 rank pipe organ with a Schantz console, and our Stultz and Bauer grand piano.
Inquiries and resumes can be sent to:
Rev. Matthew French, email@example.com
474 E. Main Street, Springville, NY 14141.